Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Romans 1:9,10

For God is my witness, whom I serve with my spirit in the gospel of his Son, that without ceasing I mention you always in my prayers, asking that somehow by God's will I may now at last succeed in coming to you. 

How often do we get up on Sunday morning and go to church because it's just what we do on Sunday mornings?  How often do we read the bible at any given time because that's what Christians do? How often do we pray before meals or before we go to bed because that's what Christians do?

I think Paul has laid out a challenge for us here - he serves God with his spirit in the gospel of His Son...this means with all of his heart. Paul didn't play church. He didn't spend time doing the "right" things because gave him a warm fuzzy feeling or because he wanted to look "Christian." Paul started churches, did the "right" things, and looked "Christian" because that is what happens when we serve God with our spirit, with all of our heart! Our focus must be on God alone, not our performance. Godly performance always follows a strong relationship with God through Christ!

This second part has been very convicting for me lately and I need it. Paul writes to those in Rome that he mentions them always in his prayers...last post I mentioned Paul's thankfulness for those in Rome and this ties into that thought. Paul mentions his fellow brothers and sisters in Christ always in his prayers. For good measure I thought I would include some other places Paul has this same passion for God's church:

1 Co 1:4  I give thanks to my God always for you because of the grace of God that was given you in Christ Jesus

Php 1:3,4 I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy
 
Col 1:3  We always thank God, the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, when we pray for you

1Th 1:2  We give thanks to God always for all of you, constantly mentioning you in our prayers 

2Th 1:3  We ought always to give thanks to God for you, brothers, as is right, because your faith is growing abundantly...

Paul was passionate about praying for those who were serving God along side him. We need to pray that God will fill us with the same passion for each other. We should be in prayer throughout each day for our brothers and sisters in Christ...lifting up those who are in the midst of trials and thanking God for ALL of His children that we will get to spend eternity with. This MUST transcend denominations, cultures, and countries.

In light of the recent election, and the fist that America shook at God, we need now more than ever in our lifetime to pull together as the Body of Christ, praying for each other without ceasing! Please take some time today and pray for your brothers and sisters in Christ, thank God for them and pray that we would continue to build relationships that will be to the glory of our Almighty God!




No comments:

Post a Comment